We found a natural antihistamine for dogs that is practically free. All you have to do is just add water.
Dog owners reach for antihistamine for dogs when they suffer from atopic dermatitis. It is most often seen in dogs having an itch that they just cannot stop scratching (chronic itching). The resulting scratching often causes hair loss and open wounds on the skin.
There is an all natural antihistamine for dogs that is safe, effective and you may already have in your cupboard.
Also called canine atopic dermatitis, or atopic dermatitis in dogs, this condition can result from an allergic reaction (hypersensitivity) to allergens (something that causes an allergic reaction) in the dogs environment. The itching can be on the skin, ears or paws.
It should be noted that antihistamines for dogs and humans do not necessarily end the symptoms. While they may make the symptoms less severe, they are used to improve the quality of life. In some cases, they are used to help reduce or eliminate the dependency for cortisones and/or cyclosporine (which are very expensive).
Like humans, they may make your pooch drowsy. Like humans, if using antihistamines, dogs should not drive or operate equipment.
Antihistamines do not cure. They do not promote healing. They are only effective in 30% of the dogs it is given to. Even worse, they may not totally eliminate the itching.
Some dog antihistamines may work and others may not. Experimentation may be necessary, often treatments will be tried over a few to several weeks.
Antihistamines do have some side effects but these go away once the antihistamine is stopped.
Cetirizine was tried in a small, single-blinded, placebo-controlled study. It only worked in 18% of the dogs it was tried on.
The most observed symptom is itching skin. It can be a daunting job to identify the cause of the allergic reaction. There are tests. Steroids are often used and antihistamines are used alone and in conjunction with other drugs, most often to reduce the need for steroids.
The antihistamines do not work as well as the steroids (glucocorticoids).
Antihistamines controlled the itching in 30% of the dogs, and produced negative side effects in 25% of the dogs. Again, this was a small trial but the results were not good.
So, what about the natural antihistamine, salt and water?
More on Natural Antihistamine for DogsPlease Share Your Story Water Cures Pet Testimonials Beyond Natural Antihistamine for Dogs: Go to the Well
According to the research of the late Dr. Batmanghelidj, unprocessed salt is a natural antihistamine. Think of what an anti-histamine is. It prevents histamine, or more specifically, it prevents the uptake of histamine. What if it was possible to prevent the need for histamine in the first place?
The logic is simple. A histamine reaction happens when a dog is exposed to an allergen, something that causes a reaction that starts itching and results in scratching and ends in hair loss and raw skin.
What would happen if at the cellular level, a body has a balance of sodium and potassium along with water. The water not only dilutes any toxins, it helps the cells function at their optimal levels, enabling the detoxification or removal of the toxins through excretion, it works to heal any inflammation and diminish the itch response.
The Water Cures Pet Protocol when used as a natural antihistamine for dogs, allows for just this. It both dilutes toxins and allows for optimal removal of toxins. Thus, it is an anti-histamine on several levels.
The Water Cures Pet Protocol involves putting down three to four bowls. In the first, only water. In the second, between 1/8 tsp and 1/4 tsp of salt. Each additional bowl, slightly more depending on the size of the dog. Smaller dogs will use less and bigger dogs more.
Your dog will drink from the bowl that has the amount of salt that they need.
Watch which bowl they drink from. That is the amount that you will serve along with the bowl of plain water.
Check out the pet testimonials section and find out what others have to say.
NOTE: We only recommend using unprocessed sea salt with up to 80 trace minerals.
The Board on Agriculture and Natural Resources suggests that dogs weighing 33 pounds should consume no more than 100 mg of sodium a day.
The Merck Manual suggests that 3/4 teaspoon of salt at one time would be too much for a 100 lb dog. That would be about 1200 to 1500 mg of salt.
Unprocessed pet salt has about 400 mg of sodium in 1/4 tsp. Your dog will not drink the entire bowl of water with salt in one day. Additionally, the protocol suggests that two bowls be put down, and at least one with salt and one without salt. This will help prevent the dog eating too much salt.
When dogs do not have enough salt, their bodies lose water, minerals are also lost. These minerals include sodium and potassium. When dehydrated, only give a little bit of water so rehydration is not too fast as you go to the vet. Too much water may lead to vomiting which would further make thins worse.
When dogs eat too much salt, they will become extremely thirsty and start drinking more water. This will result in increase urination. Vomiting may also be a result of too much salt.
It is a case of too little being bad and too much is also bad. Fortunately, dogs know what they need and given a choice, they will eat what they need. Incidentally, this is why it is marketed by some salt producers as 'Pet Salt.'
If you think your do has consumed too much salt, you need to see a vet right away.
Most pet owners know foods like various kinds of jerky for human consumption are unsafe for dogs. They can make the dogs sick or worse, even cause death. This is due to the chemicals and spices in the jerky, not to mention an excess of salt, more than their bodies need.